The first vineyard plots of the Domaine formed part of the dowry of the late Geneviève Quanquin, who married Georges Roumier in 1924. At the time, Georges Roumier was the winemaker of famed Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé. After taking over the Quanquin family’s vineyards, he immediately sought to enlarge production by taking on a plot of Musigny Grand Cru in a sharecropping agreement. Domaine G. Roumier was further enlarged in the 1950s: additional plots of Bonnes Mares Grand Cru were added in 1952 and in 1953, the 2.5 hectare ‘monopole’ of the Premier Cru “Clos de La Bussière” in Morey-Saint-Denis was acquired. Georges Roumier left Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé in 1955 to work full time on his own domaine.
Georges was succeeded in 1957 by his son Jean-Marie and is now run by his grandson Christophe, who joined his father in November 1981 and took over the winemaking in 1984. His sister Delphine has joined him in 1993, taking in charge the administration and distribution. They form a very complementary duo at the helm of the Domaine. Christophe’s winemaking aims at a great sense of precision, whether in such cuvées as Chambolle Musigny Premier Cru Les Amoureuses, Bonnes Mares Grand Cru or Musigny Grand Cru, but across his entire range, from his Bourgogne to his Chambolle-Musigny.
Les Bussieres is a vineyard that resides right in between the villages of Chambolle Musigny and Morey Saint Denis. This unique placement brings the best of both villages into one wine—Chambolle elegance and Morey savoriness. The site is still surrounded by the original Cistercian wall built in the 12th century. Most of the fruit is destemmed and the juice is aged in barrels for over a year, 15% of which are new.
In 1953, Georges Roumier himself acquired a whole clos in Morey-Saint-Denis: Clos de la Bussière. This premier cru releases powerful, rustic, wild flavours that require time to gain refinement in the bottle. But the palate displays the typicity of the village's wines, offering elegance and generosity.
Domaine Georges Roumier was created in 1924. At that time, most of the production was sold to local merchants. In 1945, however, Georges Roumier initiated the practice of domaine bottling. Ever since, the reputation of the Roumier name has soared ever-higher. In 1981, Christophe Roumier and his father Jean-Marie became partners to jointly manage the Domaine Georges Roumier. Today, the Domaine covers 11.52 hectares in Chambolle-Musigny, Morey-Saint-Denis, and Corton-Charlemagne and makes wines that are profound, elegant, and consistently delicious.
Roumier owns two roughly equally-sized parcels of Bonnes-Mares - one in the “Terres Blanches” towards the top of Bonnes Mares on chalky marl soils rich in fossilized seashells, and one in the “Terres Rouges” section towards the bottom of the slope with more clay. The two parcels are vinified and aged separately, and then blended before bottling. The Terres Blanches gives the final blend its soaring aromatics and minerality, while the Terres Rouges provides backbone and depth.