Weingut Robert Weil was founded in 1875 amidst fortuitous circumstances. The founder, Dr. Robert Weil, was a professor of German at the Sorbonne but was forced to leave Paris because of the pending Franco-Prussian War (1870-71). Dr. Weil purchased his first vineyards in Kiedrich, and he moved there in 1875, when he bought the estate manor from the heirs of Sir John Sutton, an English baronet.
When he moved to Kiedrich, Dr. Robert Weil decided to expand his small vineyard holdings into a wine estate. A man of vision, he built up the estate by purchasing the property of two local wine estates and additional -vineyards from the Count of Fürstenberg. Today the estate is managed with the same spirit of enterprise by the fourth generation of the founding family.